Loch was established with the coming of the railway in 1876.
Early in Loch’s development, the townspeople recognised the need for a local and accessible school to provide the fluctuating numbers of children with an elementary and socialising education.
Petitions were sent to the Victorian Department of Education for this purpose and by 1889 the school had been constructed and a Head Teacher, Francis William Clarke, appointed. He remained at Loch for the next 28 years and his time there provides the focus for a broad exploration into the establishment and growth of Loch.
The school’s fluctuating numbers reflect the transient nature of Loch’s early population, while Clarke’s experiences with the Victorian Department of Education demonstrate the difficulties of dealing with a remote and officious bureaucracy.
In many ways the history of this school and its teacher provide valuable information about living in what was then an isolated town, and the efforts of its residents to establish a sense of place and community.
History information was gathered online from “The Township is a Rising One” - a book (abstract) by Lyn Payne. On the Public Record Office Victoria.
A hunting party from LochVillage
The Union Bank in LochVillage
Loch Railway Station
Loch-Nyora Bridge and the township beyond
Loch-Nyora Bridge, LochVillage and Railway Station
Early days in Victoria Road
a bush hut, near LochVillage
LochVillage from the Railway Station to the centre
10 - 10
LochVillage web site is a Loch Community Development Association project